Kernel 2.6.24 -- gee that was fun...not!

I have been using Fedora since core 2 and I have never had any problems with a kernel update. Yesterday that changed the new 2.6.24 kernel. I booted the system and got to see it panic and halt. It appears that it was doing something with networking, but that is not for sure. I gather that by looking at what it barfed on my screen and picking out the big pieces :)

I have uploaded a smolt profile of my machine. If you have the same difficulty you may want to look and see if you see any overlap.

http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_bbdcaa05-e7bd-4ad7-83ca-f822b5b0fb7f

Recovery was a pain...

1) Remove all traces of new 2.6.24 kernel
- I could remove the new kernel, devel fairly easily
- removing the kernel-headers took a lot of friends with it
  - tracked the dependences to reinstall later

2)  Tried to install the 2.6.23 headers and devel
- none of the repos had the "old" kernel files
- after much searching I found: http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=35322
     - got headers and devel packages
     - rpm -ihv the devel and header rpms

3) Nvidia drivers messed up on 2.6.23
  - Tried to install livna Nvidia drivers
     - always tried to drag in the 2.6.24 kernel
     - could not find a way around it

4) Reinstalled development environment lost in step 1
  - yum install gcc gcc-c++ gcc-java rpmdevtools
  - will go back and get the others later

5) Nvidia the hard way
  - yum erase kmod-nvidia*
  - download the driver:
- wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/169.12/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12-pkg1.run
  - Turn off Xserver
     - telinit 3
  - Install the driver
     - sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12-pkg1.run
  -  reboot

6) sigh with relief as I see my twin-view screens come up correctly
7) share experience here
8) will exclude kernel from yum update until 2.6.25 comes out.
  - I see on this list that others have had success with it.