Re: Remote XWindows

Frank Cox wrote:

We use NX from Nomachine.com

There is also freeNX based on the above and also the free NX server from the above site will give up to 2 users access.

What advantages do you gain by using NX instead of VNC-over-SSH?

Much, much better responsiveness using much less bandwidth, plus your choice of suspending or terminating the session as you disconnect. If you suspend, everything keeps running until you reconnect, which can be from somewhere else and even a different client platform. You can run the whole session over ssh if you check the advanced/enable ssl box. The Mac NX client can resize the whole desktop. I'm not sure if any of the others can.

I've been using VNC for several years and there are no user restrictions that
I'm aware of there.

You can use the freely downloadable NX client with the freenx server with no restrictions.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx