Re: Remote XWindows

Mike Dwiggins wrote:
Dumb beginner question here. What is the best software to use to set up an SSH X-Windows session?

I am doing well with putty but have hit a point where I need to bring up my browser in a remote session..

Mike D.

Depends on what you're trying to achieve.
With ssh, you can run this to execute the application remotely but have it displayed locally:
$ ssh -Y <remote_host> <application>

If you want it to be displayed remotely as well, you'll want to look into VNC

Also, maybe you want to run the application locally but use remote user profile. Then you can map remote path to a local directory with sshfs and point the local application to the data (it will appear to any application as if it were local).

HTH