Re: WinXP on anotther partition running as guest OS: is it possible (for free)?

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

I have here Fedora 8 and WinXP on the same machine. I use XP mostly
for gaming, but every once in a while I have to edit some Word docs
sent by clients on MS Word. ... As much as I wish, OpenOffice isn't
just there yet, sometimes it messes with the docs, I already tried
this and received complaints about format changes. It sucks, and
eventually there will be 100% compatibility, but there's still some
ground to cover.

According to VMWare Workstation FAQ I could run my installed XP as a
guest system, but I was wondering if there was no free alternative,
since it costs USD 189,00 and I will only need it every once in a
while.

Anyone solved a similar problem? Any advice on what to use and what to
avoid? Any pitfalls?

VMware Player is a free (as in beer) download. ALl you need is to set up
the virtual machine (e.g. using a trial install of Workstation, or
importing it from someone who has the full version) and off you go.

VMware Server is also a free download - you just have to register for a free serial number to activate it. It will let you create virtual machines as well as run them.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx