expired passwords

When I run:

$ passwd -e <username>

To expire a password for a user and then try to log back in for that
user it says that I need to update my password. and then I get back to
the login prompt.

>You are required to change your password immediately (root enforced)

I am expecting that it will ask to make a new password:

>login: adm1
>password: *******
>WARNING: Your password has expired
>You must change your password now and login again!
>Changing password for adm1
>Old password:
>Enter the new password (minimum of 5, maximum of 8 characters)
>Please use a combination of upper and lower case letters and numbers
>New password:
>Re-enter new password:
>Password changed.

The man page for login implies I should be able to set it at login time:

--------------------------------
 If password aging has been enabled for your account, you may be
 prompted for a new password before proceeding. You will be forced to
 provide your old password and the new password before continuing.
 Please refer to passwd(1) for more information.

Am I doing something wrong from a sysadmin point of view or is there
some compile option that needs to be used to get the behavior that I
want ?

Thanks
    Chris Kottaridis    (chriskot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)