Re: PackageUpdater: silently changing license ?!?

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 08:25 +0100, Kenn Thyrsted wrote:
> Hi Y'all
>
> My F8 packageUpdater offers me Updated gtk-nodoka-engine
>
> Details says:
> "New upstream release containing license revision"
>
> Im rather surprised by this.
> I can't find anything about what license it changes from and to.

Fedora Update Notification
FEDORA-2008-1092
2008-03-07 19:34:44

Update Information:

   New upstream release containing license revision.    New upstream
release containing license revision.

ChangeLog:

* Sat Jan 26 2008 Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@xxxxxxxxx> - 0.6.2-1
- New upstream. Patches merged into upstream
- Update license to GPLv2+

That's what it changed to.  You could look into an older package, to see
what the license used to be, if you've got an older one handy.

> Needless to say, - i was rather surprised by the fact that licenses is
> more or less silently changed.
>
> - Does any of You know if this is "business as usual" in fedora ?

It's a common thing for some things...

Most of things we have in the distro are not really "Fedora" packages,
so to speak.  They're a thing that was created by somebody completely
separate to Fedora, but the Fedora project has included a packing of it.
So, it's up to *them* what license it releases as.

e.g. OpenOffice.org, Apache, Evolution, etc., all come with Fedora, but
none of them belong to Fedora.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.