Installing GRUB as the MBR on an ext3 formatted drive using winxp?

I'm attempting a medialess install so I would prefer a solution that can be executed from within xp.

Basically I just need to install GRUB under xp but can't find anyway to do it. There's an app called grubinstall but that installs grub to an ntfs partition and there's also something called wingrub but I'm having a little trouble using it (at boot it says it cannot find grbldr and it doesn't create a grub.conf file).

Gareth.