Re: F8... freeze, no ralink.. and problems with lightning (thunderbird).. etc.

Ivan Virgili wrote:

> A week ago, after updating my F8 installation the Ralink card stopped
> working (I filed a bug for that).
> My laptop then started freezing. This would happen after 2 minutes or
> after 2 hours.
> It was very random.
> Even if I used an older version of the kernel, the problem would still
> occur.
>
> I decided to reinstall everything to see what would happen.
> Well, as soon as I installed all the updates I experienced the same
> problems: no Ralink wirelss card and system freezing.
>
> I have now installed kernel 23.14-115 and that seems to be stable (still
> no Ralink, whereas in the past it used to work with that kernel).

I have been using my laptop for a few hours, with kernel 2.6.24.3-12.fc8,
and the system has not freezed.
It looks as if the problem might be the Ralink card. In fact I did not have
the pcmcia card in when I started it.
It seems that this card not only does not work with this kernel, but it
makes it freeze as well.

I also tried again 2.6.23.14-115.fc8, with which the Ralink card DOES work,
but at one point it freezed.
Without the Ralink card everything works fine (I had the laptop on for 7
hours, no problem).
I will add this info to the bug report I filed, but I just thought it was
worth sharing the info.

Ivan

-----
Ivan Virgili