Re: /etc/resolv.conf - Number of Nameservers

Ed Greshko wrote:
Manish Kathuria wrote:
What is the maximum number of nameservers mentioned in /etc/resolv.conf
which will be queried while looking up a hostname or IP address in Fedora
8 ? Earlier implementations had a ceiling of 3 nameservers which could be
queried. Has there been any increase ?

This is not from fedora...but I suspect it is quite the same....

Check "man resolv.conf" and you may see the statement "

"The maximum number of DNS servers to use is set by MAXNS (see <resolv.h> )"

and if you then look in /usr/include/resolv.h you see....

# define MAXNS 3 /* max # name servers we'll track */

More not-working DN servers means longer timeouts on failing lookups.

Once a server responds, even with "dunno" the resolver stops querying DN servers and returns "failed." more servers doesn't usually mean more reliability; if you can't find one working server in three you need to have a good hard look at your list.