Re: Interesting Gnome window manager problem - Help

On Sun, 2008-03-09 at 21:15 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 11:25 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> > On the weekend I did some updates which were required and when I logged
> > back in I couldn't get the window manager working- which means I have no
> > window borders and creates any number of problems (which if anyone has
> > lost their borders would know).
> >
> > 1. Has anyone else had this problem?
> > 2. Where the hell do I start to fix this?
> >
> > I tried reinstalling Gnome with some disastrous consequences (overcome
> > now obviously as now I am emailing again.)- still no luck. And I can't
> > find a window manager as such for Gnome, so this is why haven't been
> > able to track it. And why would it come up after the updates?
>
> The usual Gnome window manager is Metacity. You should be able simply to
> run it from a Shell in the worst case.
>
> poc

The plot thickens...
Metacity is running. Yet it seems only one login is affected by this
monstrosity, other logins appear to be ok (which it never occurred to me
to check before reinstalling Gnome- doh!). So I would logically conclude
that for some reason this login has no access to metacity. Selinux,
perhaps?

As for compiz- is that desktop effects? It would appear that it may be a
cause. How did you fix that problem? Did updates include anything for
compiz? It seems strange that it would suddenly occur right after
otherwise...

Thanks for the clues guys. Keep em coming though..