Re: Computer can't boot after update to kernel-2.6.24.3-12.fc8 !

Axel Thimm wrote:
On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 07:13:16PM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 17:54:45 +0100, Mikael Larsson wrote:

Hello, my computer won't boot after updating to the new 2.6.24.3-12.fc8
kernel. It complains (after 2 minute timeout) about not finding any of
my local partitions. Anyone else having problems ?
No. Here those updates killed my network connections by renaming the ifcfg
files to *.bak.

I've seen this before, but didn't investigate. I didn't think that the
kernel update was causing it. Why does that happen?

Kernel updates should not have been messing with those files, so something that changed from the kernel update caused one of the configuration utilities to rename the files.

Are there any config utils in the rc scripts that would do this if the order of the network devices changed?

I know I tend to turn off kudzu because it has a habit of trying to help, and actually making mess of things.

                  Roger