Re: how to resize/grow an existing partition

Tim wrote:
On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 12:54 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
Isn't this precisely the reason that the system defaults to installing on LVM now? The old-school way would have been to create a new partition and filesystem in the new space and mount it as /home or something. I thought the point of LVM was that you could grow it - and then the filesystem(s) it contains more or less non-destructively.

LVM would help if you wanted to add a drive, but doesn't help (in this
case) if you want to replace a drive.

Couldn't you add the unused space on the drive to the LVM volume just like you would add a second drive? I would not consider it the best way to move to a larger drive, but I can't see any reason it wouldn't work. You might run into problems because of using dd to copy the MBR from the old drive because the partition table would be set for the old drive size, but that is another story.

Mikkel