Re: Konqueror vs Firefox

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 05:53 -0500, David Boles wrote:
> With both Adblock and Flashblock disabled the original page at
> http://www.news.com.au/ loads more slowly because this site is, IMO,
> truly overloaded with regular ads and flash ads. Very busy page.
> Guessing that it took 4-5 seconds longer to complete.

As I said, it's a good "bad example" website.  If I want to give a
browser a punishing test, that site's good for it.  But I find other
sites, not full of ads/flash/refreshes, can be just as problematic,
particularly if they go nuts on restyling HTML into columns and boxes
everywhere.  Webforums being a typical example, especially the ones that
include user pictures next to the author's contribution.

> You do realise that this (these) pages never really do 'stop' loading?
> The first one updates itself on a regular basis. And all of those
> Flash ads never stop. That I found very annoying.

Yes, it's a very painful site to use, on a number of points.  I had my
bank's site do something similarly annoying some time ago.  They
replaced all the navigational graphics with individual flash files.
Apart from being a real drag, I don't think Flash should be used in
something that requires security.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.