Catalyst (Manually Installed From CPAN) Fails

On my Fedora 8 i386 laptop, I installed Catalyst-5.7012 and numerous
related modules using the cat-install script suggested by the CPAN
Catalyst::Tutorial. At the time, I didn't realize that Catalyst is
separately packaged for Fedora. Here is waht happens when I try to
create a Catalyst application on that machine:

[rlc@deafeng3 ~]$ catalyst.pl MyApp
Weak references are not implemented in the version of perl at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Catalyst.pm line 24
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Catalyst.pm line 24.
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Catalyst/Helper.pm line 66.

What am I doing wrong here?

I am also doing a separate, related post about
Test-WWW-Mechanize-Catalyst-0.41 which I also installed using CPAN and
which also fails.

I do seem to have Catalyst running acceptably on my CentOS 5.1 virtual
machine. I installed and compiled in the same way as described above
(meaning I didn't think to check for CentOS-supported Catalyst packages
and installed from cat-install and then CPAN instead) and was actually
able to do the Catalyst tutorial on it. I'm in the last chapter of that
in fact.

Thanks

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland