Re: Fedora 6, Dell Optiplex GX260 and PCI Video

So I made a bid of progress... I added the following lines to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist:

blacklist agpgart
blacklist intel_agp

And I rebooted. Right now I have that and the BIOS set to "OnBoard" and I'm trying to see if I can configure additional screen on the Matrox card.

It's not fixed yet but atleast I can boot without crashing.

Charles Gagnon wrote:
But that will work if I have the PCI card in but I want to use the OnBoard video right?

What if I want to use the Matrox PCI card? THe BIOS offers no option to disable the OnBoard video.

And the PCI card does work, I get the Dell logo at the beginining then the Fedora grub boot menu, finally I see a couple of line of kernel stuff and than the crash.

Or am I misunderstanding the meaning of OnBoard and Auto?

Phil Meyer wrote:
Charles Gagnon wrote:
I hit Fedoraforum.org with this but got nothing. It has been driving me nuts. I searched the net high and low but I cannot put my finger on what the problem is.

I have a Dell Optiplex GX260 which I use with Fedora. It currently runs an updated 'Fedora Core release 6 (Zod)'. I want to run multihead on it.

When I run with the onboard video adapter (part of the Intel 845G), everything works okay. As soon as I try to use my PCI Matrox G2+/QUAD-PL (Quad G200 32MB PCI), the kernel will not even unpack, or it crashes with a weird EIP error and khelper message right after it tries to load.

This is a unique (in my experience) to DELL Optiplex video BIOS issue that is solvable.

In the DELL BIOS, you need to set the video priority from AUTO to on board video.

The Fedora kernels try to resolve the primary video for several reasons, and some other distro kernels do not, unless you build the fb, and other, modules into the kernel.

The problem is that the AUTO setting will offer the wrong video card to the kernel as the default, causing the kernel to crash.

--
Charles Gagnon                   | My views are my views and they
http://unixrealm.com             | do not represent those of anybody