Re: Feature Request : canned minimum

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 21:53:29 -0500, Carroll Grigsby wrote:

> On Monday 03 March 2008 3:44:54 pm Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:
>> 	Didn't anaconda use to include an option to do a minimum install?
[...]
>> 	I don't know whether the feature is feasible, much less why or
>> why not; but I'd sure be glad of *some* easier way.

> How about starting with one of the live CDs? Less to trim, easier to
> update and you can then add various bits and pieces to fit within your
> space budget. I did that last week using the Live KDE version of F8, and
> it went very well.

	Hmmm .... I *think* I tried that ...

	I tried so many things that I've not only forgotten why I gave
upon which, but even what all I tried. Otoh, I was wondering last night
whether I ought to try it again ...

> I should point out that space isn't a problem here -- I've got a 320 GB
> hard drive and had plenty of space for Fedora. I was just trying to cut
> down all of the time spent installing, upgrading and then maintaining a
> bunch of stuff that I don't need and don't use.

	IOW, the feature would be welcome, if it were to (re)appear, in
more places than just among early adopters of tiny machines.

	I remember I tried EeeDora first of all; the deviser of it had
obviously put a lot of work into it, and I've been seeing more than I
want of how much that really was.

	I'm pretty sure the trouble there, once I got the right version,
was that his minimum wasn't my minimum. It seems several of the
minimalist distros -- Knoppix, DSL, and several others -- still use a
kernel that's not compatible with the hardware in the EeePC. But EeeDora
was made from F8.

	At this point, I'm down to where I can hardly remove half a dozen
apps without getting a dependency requirement I'm not willing to live
with. Pretty soon I'll have to start not only removing one at a time, but
rebooting every time.

	Stay  tuned.

Fedora 8; Alpine 0.99999, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.24, Firefox 2.0