Re: Best way to upgrade from FC5 to FC8

2008/3/4, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx>:
2008/3/4 Cassian Luppu <cassian.luppu@xxxxxxxxx>:

> 2008/3/4, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 14:11 +0100, Cassian Luppu wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I´m using FC5 in one of my desktop computers. Yes, I do know it is
> > > pretty old-fashioned, and I´m about to upgrade to FC8.
> >

> > It's F8 actually. The "core" terminology was dropped after FC6.
>
> Ups, yeah, I always forget that one :)
>

> > > I just wanted to ask you guys what is the best way to get it running
> > > with the less problems possible, I know I´ll have to face some of
> > > then.
> > >
> > > I guess that setting up the FC8 repositories and yum upgrade wouldn´t
> > > be the best way, would it?
> >

> > I'd advise against it. Fedora is not guaranteed to work even doing an
> > upgrade from one version to the next (I've done it but frequently I find
> > myself doing a fresh install after a while).
>

> Exactly, I did knew that, I just one a confirmation :-)
>

> > It's almost certainly
> > easier to back up your user data (/home, /etc, /usr/local, ...) and
> > install from scratch. Take a list of your RPMs as well ('rpm -qa --last
> > > LIST') just in case.
> > poc
>

> The problem here is that the /home/user I want to keep is 16GB, so it's
> going to be a pain to trasnfer it. I blame myself for not creating the
> partion when I installed the system
>
> Any other advice?
>  Thank you very very much

I had a similar problem and got around it by doing this:

1. Booting to the rescue disk
2. Chroot-ing to the root of my installation.
3. Making a backup directory off the root and moving everything I want
to keep into it. (/home,/var,/etc)
4. Deleting everything else I could (not everything is a real file) a
la 'rm -rf'
5. Reboot loading the normal install and choosing to preserve my
current partitions.
6. Copying as needed out of /backup after install.

Worked like a charm for me but YMMV.

Oh, Richard, that sounds perfect for me!
However, why did you chrooted your / to create  /backup?
Isn't it enought to just create /backup and move everything into it?
I mean, why booting using the rescue disk and all that to move just /home?

Thanks!