Re: Automount external hard drive?

> On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Mike Burger <mburger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Instead of having this in your fstab, you might want to try using the
>>  automount daemon handle this drive.  That way, it's only mounted when
>> you
>>  actually need it, and unmounts after a period of inactivity.
>>
>>  Works for me...I use external drives for my Mondo backups, so that I
>> can
>>  take the drives offsite.
>
> That would work for me.  Just to be sure: by automount daemon, you
> mean autofs, right?

Yes.  The "autofs" service runs the "automountd" daemon.

> Do your automounted drives need to be fscked periodically?  Is that
> automatic, too?  If so, is there a long pause when it needs to be done
> before they're mounted and ready to be used?  Seems like a 250 GB fsck
> would be painful when it's on-demand mounting....  (Mine are normal
> ext3, by the way.)

The frequency of need to fsck is usually determined by a setting that can
be changed (or disabled) using tune2fs.  I have not had to fsck a
drive/filesystem on my removable drives due to any errors...just because
the system told me that it had been mounted too many times and needed to
be checked.

> Thanks, just want to make sure I'm doing this right!

So far, so good, it seems.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org