Re: Why Doesn't Evolution Filter Spam?

On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 16:51 -0500, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> Since I upgraded to Fedora 8, the Fedora 8 packaged version of Evolution
> has never filtered incoming e-mail for spam. I've posted on the
> Evolution list but they seem to think it a Fedora specific problem. Has
> anyone else had this problem with Evolution? Although both bogofilter
> and spamassasin are installed (and recognized by Evolution), neither
> ever filters e-mail (this is after months of marking e-mail for junk and
> after installing the backup files for Evolution from Fedora 6).

Take a look at Preferences->Junk Filter. You should see a confirmation
of which filter you are using, and a line stating that the executable
exists. If it doesn't say that, there is a fix: there was a whole thread
on <evolution-list@xxxxxxxxx> about this a few weeks ago. It tends to
bite people who upgraded from earlier Fedora versions. I finally sorted
it out following a suggestion of <psimth@xxxxxxx> saying that it's
actually a Gconf issue. I enlose my reply to his message.

poc

PS I changed from SA to BF last year and have been happy with it. SA
seemed to have a lot of issues (aside from this one, which isn't in fact
SA's fault). The Evo people are now canvassing opinions on whether to
have BF as the default spam filter.
--- Begin Message ---
On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 21:33 -0500, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 21:14 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > So the problem is somewhere in my Gconf or .evolution. Where do I
> > start looking?
>
> Aha!  The circle closes!
>
> OK, my suspicion is that it's a gconf issue.  I really dislike gconf: I
> can't believe after the disaster that is the Windows registry the Gnome
> folks thought it was a good idea to emulate it.  Text config files rule!

Totally agree. I can't stand it.

> Anyway.
>
> If you don't have a copy already, you need to get gconf-editor.  Fire it
> up.  On my Ubuntu box it doesn't install into the menu system (that I
> can find); run it from a terminal.
>
> Now, open up apps -> evolution -> mail -> junk.  I don't know what it
> should look like, but mine says:
>
>     check_incoming		<check>
>     default_plugin		Bogofilter
>     empty_date			0
>     empty_on_exit		<not checked>
>     empty_on_exit_days		0
>
> Underneath that, I have "folders" for bogofilter and sa.  The bogofilter
> one says:
>
>     unicode			<check>
>
> I'm not really sure what might be the problem here though.  What does
> yours look like?

Solved! the default_plugin was SpamAssassin, despite the fact that the
SA plugin was disabled and the GUI showed BF whenever I clicked on the
drop-down list. I edited it by hand to Bogofilter, restarted completely,
and it seems to be working (after about 5 seconds testing).

Many thanks for your help. I've no idea how this could have happened as
I'm not in the habit of editing Gconf by hand, but obviously something
messed with it out of sight.

Clearly some more consistency checking is required.

poc

PS I also note that for the past few days Evo is starting up in offline
mode. I've no idea why and can't see anything in the GUI where one can
turn this off as it's very annoying (and it's not the desktop button
configuration). It's also insisting on checking all my IMAP folders for
new mail, even though that is explicitly turned off in the Preferences.
Maybe these are also errors in the Gconf data, but I don't know where to
change them.