F8: Login via web page no longer works...what am I doing wrong?

Hello all,

I set up a password-protected page to access weather data files from home. This worked great until I installed F8. Using an etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file to allow .htaccess files, I put this in the directory:

AuthType Basic
AuthName "Weather Data"
AuthUserFile /blah/blah/.blahsomething
require valid-user
Options +ExecCGI
AddHandler cgi-script

Now when I do this, I get a 401 error.

"401 Authorization Required
This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required."

Looking in my Apache logs, I see:

File does not exist: /blah/.blahsomething

When it should be looking for: /blah/blah/.blahsomething (it's looking in a previous directory).

Both F7 and F8 use the same Apache versions (2.2.8), and I have it working on an F7 machine, exact same configuration. What am I doing wrong?