Re: OT: Something better than kino?

Claude Jones wrote:
On Tue February 26 2008, Dan Dennedy wrote:
As the lead developer of Kino and a former Vegas user, I can safely say
there is nothing for Linux that comes even close to Vegas. Not even the
expensive Discreet Smoke because they have very different UIs and
target audiences. If you think the GIMP UI is bad, then you will surely
dismiss Cinelerra (or nearly all Linux applications for that matter).
CinePaint and Avidemux will not suffice either. CinePaint is a frame
touchup app, and Avidemux is mainly a transcoding tool with very
limited editing. Nevertheless, if you really want to monitor the
progress of intermediate-to-advanced video editing on Linux then you
can monitor the progress on Blender, Open Movie Editor, and Kdenlive.

As a current Vegas, Adobe Premiere, and DPS Velocity editor, I would agree with the above. But, I wouldn't dismiss Cinelerra from your list. There's an ongoing project in active discussion to re-write the entire code being used in the community version which will also include a rename. But, that being said, we are a long way in Linux land from being able to edit with the power of Vegas. If the new Cinelerra can be what the old is minus the bugs and broken features, I would say it stands the best chance of rivalling Vegas or Premiere in the long run -- Open Movie Editor is not intended to be a full-featured NLE according to its author who participates on the Cinelerra list. Kdenlive doesn't seem to be undergoing a lot of development so far as I can tell, and Blender is not really an NLE application, though there's lots of discussion ongoing of incorporating video editing features into it. All these projects are moving targets and I could easily have missed major breakthroughs in their feature-sets since I last investigated matters, but, I do try to revisit these projects on a regular basis.

I was reading some news this morning and I came across a link for 100 open source applications and in the list was this.

http://jahshaka.org/

There is a FC5 release. I tried to install it on my F8 box but I couldn't due to 32/64 bit dependency issues that I don't have the time to work out at this time. I may try it on my home machine.

Source is available.

--
Robin Laing