Re: How to build an apache webserver

Randy Easley wrote:

Fedora includes apache.  If you don't have it already, just:
yum install httpd httpd-devel
and
chkconfig httpd on
service httpd start

But if you are going to run this for serious production, I'd use RHEL or

CentOS instead of fedora so you don't have to do frequent OS version updates with the associated stability risks.

*This is only for home network practice. I have been using fedora for
years some old redhat also, I have just never learned the basics of
setting up a webserver and want to learn how. From the ground up.

If you really want 'ground up', grab the source from www.apache.org and compile it. I don't recommend that these days since the packaged version is fine and there are plenty of higher-level content managers and add-ons that can suck up all your time. What you should learn, though, is what you can do in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf and the pieces that get included from /etc/httpd/conf.d/.

--
 Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx