Re: Video interference & slow running solved but...

Frank Cox wrote:
I seem to have solved a problem and created a new one.

I got an ATI X1550 video card and set that up to use the DVI output to my
monitor instead of the analog VGA that I had off of the built-in Intel video.
To my surprise, that seems to have got around the issue of that Intel bios bug
causing the huge slowdown on this computer (see the "s-l-o-w installation"
thread that I started the other day. I don't need to specify any "mem=" kernel
parameter any more; it just works at full speed without any problem.

In addition, this seems to have solved the problem of the interference lines on
my display -- I haven't seen one so far since I put this card in.

However...

I can't manage to get 1680x1050 video resolution.  "Out-of-the-box" I got
1400x1050, which looks squashed.  I tried fiddling around with xorg.conf by
specifying the modeline and resolution that I want.  This is what I ended up
with:

Did you try selecting system->preferences->screen_resolution and looking at what was available there? I have had good luck using that rather than depending on hand editing or anything automatic being right. I have no idea where the list is generated, I'm just happy that it had what I needed when I looked.

Editing files and xvidtune... don't miss it.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>