Re: php map software

Michael A. Peters wrote:
I'm curious as to whether or not anyone is aware of existing php code to plot data on a map.

Specifically - I'd like to divide the county I live in into hexagons, feed various GPS coordinates to the php script, and the hexagon containing the long/lat coordinated gets filled in (entire hexagon).

Purpose is to make a range map within my county of confirmed wild reptiles/amphibians by species without providing the precise coordinates for where the specimen was found.

I'm hoping there is already some existing php code I can adapt for this kind of thing (hexagons are better than squares for this type of thing, but I'm guessing a little more complex in the math to figure out which hexagon a coordinate belongs to).

Any pointers appreciated.

I think you are looking at GIS data processing. I have looked at this just in passing for another project but it may be useful.

http://opensourcegis.org/

http://www.qgis.org/

This is an OOo macro that may help you as well.

http://nothickmanuals.info/doku.php/articles:ooohg

--
Robin Laing