Re: Help with a little dd damage!

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> The first thing I would do is run "fdisk -l 2ndstage.rescue" and
> make sure you didn't overwrite the partition table of the image. If
> you did, then you are probably out of luck. If the image is good,
> you can restore the MBR by using "dd if=2ndstage.rescue of=sda
> bs=512 count=1" You will still have corrupted data at the start of
> the drive.
>
> If your have a separate /boot partition at the start of the drive,
> and you have not updated your kernel, then you can restore the
> entire 2ndstage.rescue file.

even if you trashed the *physical* partition table on the drive, can't
you recover that info from the running kernel somehow.  if you check
/proc/partitions, it looks like you can at least get the sizes of the
partitions.  can you not get the rest of that information somewhere
under /proc?  i'm just guessing here.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.