Re: Issues with network install on a Mac-based apache server

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 13:16 +0000, Bruno Rebeschini wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to perform a network install of Fedora on an old machine
> from an iMac that I use as a web server.
>
> On Mac OS X, I mounted the DVD.iso and copied the content to the
> folder made accessible to the network by apache.
> I used the boot CD and specified the IP address of the web server, and
> also the folder where the files are accessible.
> The installer retrieves the first package (minstr2.img if I remember
> well) and then says that the installation tree is not accessible and
> stops.
>
> I have already validated that the files copied from the DVD.iso are
> available from the machine - so I wonder if I need to mount the files
> differently.
>
> I looked for more info regarding network installs and tried to use the
> commands:
>      mount -o
> loop /location/of/disk/space/diskX.iso /export/directory/
> and also
>      mount -o loop -t
> iso9660 /location/of/disk/space/diskX.iso /export/directory/
> where /location/of/disk/space/diskX.iso and /export/directory/ are
> used as examples.
> (see
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/en-US/RHEL510/Installation_Guide/ch02s05s01.html)
> However, it does not seem to give any result on Mac OS X...
>
> Eventually I burnt the install CDs so that I can have Fedora on my old
> machine, but I think that network installs are the way forward as I
> just do not want to burn so many CDs each time I want to upgrade my
> system.
>
> I understand that this list is not dedicated to issues with Mac OS X
> but I went on Apple forums and read some of the answers given... the
> prospect of a solution from them is quite limited.
> Has anyone had a similar issue by any chance?
> Could someone help me progress please?
>
> At least, I would like to understand if it's just limitations from Mac
> OS X or if it's just me who is not using the ressource well.
>
> Many thanks,
> Bruno

G'day Bruno,

	I have no experience with OS-X, but when I have done network installs,
I escape from the initial screen of the boot CD and enter (from memory)
linux askmethod .  The screens following ask for IP, netmask and
gateway, then the network file location and proceed to install as usual.

	Others will confirm the exact syntax, I'm sure, since it's been a while
since the last time I did it that way.  I can't recall the links
followed to research this method either.

	All the best.
--
Regards
Simon