Re: F8 Rescue Disk For Install

Kevin J. Cummings wrote, On 02/26/2008 01:37 PM:
Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
     Dear friends,

  I was planning to install F8 the same way I installed F7: Burn a
rescue disk on CD-R and then use it to install over the net. I can
burn CDs but not DVDs and I thought why burn several CDs if one is
enough (and I could not find a set of F8 installation CDs either).

Check the Fedora Unity project.  Their ISO images include CD sets
created from the same package set as the DVD images.  You'll have to
learn how to use jigdo, though its much quicker if you start with the
DVD image (or a previous DVD image) already.  The last known FU release
was 02/04/2008 so it should be simple to install and then update.

Assuming that because Oliver did not know about where to find a rescue/install cd image, then Oliver is probably not familiar with Fedora Unity, so I think some links are in order.

The related Fedora Unity links:
http://fedorasolved.org/post-install-solutions/jigdo/
http://spins.fedoraunity.org/
http://spins.fedoraunity.org/spins
http://spins.fedoraunity.org/unity/fedora-unity-re-spin-f8-20080204

A somewhat easier to follow jigdo with fedora page:
http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Getting_Fedora_respins_with_Jigdo

BTW jigdo is available in FC7 so you should at worst need to
su -c 'yum install jigdo'
before you can get going.

BTW2 I just used jigdo myself the other day
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-February/msg02433.html
and it worked quite well to build both the F9A DVD and rescue CD images, granted I have a local mirror for rawhide but most of the rescue CD had to be downloaded.

--
Todd Denniston