Re: on boot, access beyond end of device

Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote, On 02/25/2008 06:56 PM:
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:45:23 +0000, Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 15:07:20 -0700, Phil Meyer wrote:

[...]
compare the numbers between:

# cat /proc/partitions

and the first column of:

# df

What might have happened long long ago and far far away, is that fdisk
incorrectly calculated the partition size.  It has been known to do
that.

Allot of the brand new Nokia N810s are shipping with this problem, due
to the manufacturer copying the disk image of a slightly different
model disk to the current one.

If the partition sizes between those two commands do not match, then
you are at a trouble spot.  You should not add any more data to that
drive. The symptoms described match exactly the symptoms of filling up
a drive with invalid partition sizes.  It can work for years, as long
as you don't go above a certain percentage used, depending upon the
size of the error.

I would recommend, if they do not match, that you backup, wipe,
repartition, mkfs, boot from rescue and check again, and if ok restore.
Indeed they do not match.  I'll take the opportunity to upgrade to FC8.

Thanks,
Mike.

I just looked at one of my other boxes, an FC7, which appears to have a
similar mismatch, but I have not had a problem with it (yet).

[root@mbrc32 ~]# cat /proc/partitions
major minor  #blocks  name

   8     0   78150744 sda
   8     1     104391 sda1
   8     2   78043770 sda2
 253     0   75956224 dm-0
 253     1    2031616 dm-1

[root@mbrc32 ~]# df
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                      73575592  14177456  55600328  21% /
/dev/sda1               101086     18584     77283  20% /boot
tmpfs                   517536         4    517532   1% /dev/shm

Assumption: A) 4K inodes in the file system,
B) /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 is on dm-0 only.
C) /proc/partitions is the correct thing to be comparing against.

try confirming:
tune2fs -l /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 |grep "Block count:"
is equal to
75956224/4 = 18989056

to be sure of the method look at
tune2fs -l /dev/sda1|grep "Block count:"
compared with:
104391/4 = 26097

IIRC "Block count:" from tune2fs is how big the file system things the hard drive/volume group is. IIRC the df data is skewed by the "Reserved block count" and possibly the Journal size.

--
Todd Denniston