Re: Where does chkconfig write its settings?

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Is it possible to change the settings of chkconfig
on a system which is not running?

Basically, I have a remote system running Fedora-7,
but with Fedora-8 on a different disk,
and I'd like sshd to run when Fedora-8 starts.

Not important, I just wondered if it is possible.
I couldn't see where chkconfig saves its settings.

That's because it doesn't....

From the man page....

chkconfig provides a simple command-line tool for maintaining the /etc/rc[0-6].d directory hierarchy by relieving system administrators of the task of directly manipulating the numerous symbolic links in those
directories.

So, the "settings" are simply the links themselves....

--
Say no, then negotiate.
		-- Helga