Re: kernel update warning

Valent Turkovic wrote:
On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 12:01 AM, Kam Leo <kam.leo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 You are nit-picking. Most users want kernel security updates. Those
 who have special requirements, e.g. only one particular version works
 with their setup, will disable updating the kernel.

There are users who aren't aware that kernel updates can stop their
vmware, vitualbox and other apps that use custom compiled kernel
modules... I know that you can argue that users should know that
breaks and what doesn't break their apps, but still a finer grained
updates would be nice.

I also think that OpenSuse has some think like this "install only
updates that don't require a restart" (I don't use OpenSuse regulary
so I can't be absolute sure) and Mint Linux has even updates grained
with numbers 1-5, 5 being updates that are potentially dangerous to
break some functionality you have now (like kernels and graphics
drivers). So you can apply only updates with 3 and lower number and
only when you choose do the other "more dangerous" updates.

Do you see this as a nonsense or something that fedora would benefit from?

Well, unless you change things, you are presented with a list of the packages that will be installed, removed, and updated. I guess if you blindly accept the list, you could run into problems. You also have the option of telling Yum not to consider packages for update. In any case, if the new kernel breaks things, you always have the current running kernel to fall back on. So you can try the new kernel if you want, and if it breaks things for you, go back to the old one.

Mikkel