Re: Home network backup solutions?

Reid Rivenburgh wrote:

 > I thought I'd check here to see if there's anything else
 > out there that would work.  Ideally, it would be transparent to the
 > clients, automatic when they're on the network, incremental....  You
 > know, um, everything BackupPC does!  Free and open source would be
 > best....

 If it is your network you shouldn't have to 'discover' it. The simple
 fix is to configure your dhcp server to always give the same IP
 addresses to the same MAC addresses and then either put the addresses
 and names in the backuppc's hosts file or set up local DNS service.
 There shouldn't be any problem running ssh, rsync, or tar on a Mac.
 Many people on the backuppc mail list are backing up macs, so ask there
 if you run into any problems.

I've made a lot of progress on this.  My router seems flaky about
assigning reserved IP addresses, but that's supposed to work.  A
fedora-specific issue, though, is that I get an error when I try to
use compression with BackupPC.  Here's a little test perl program that
demonstrates:

#!/usr/bin/perl
use Compress::Zlib;

% ./compress-test.pl
is only avaliable with the XS version at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9.
Compilation failed in require at ./date-test.pl line 2.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./date-test.pl line 2.

Bug 434574 sounds related.  I guess I can wait for this to get fixed
and just not use compression in the meantime.  Or do you know of a
workaround...?

Did you install the perl modules with yum?  What does
rpm -ql perl-Compress-Zlib
say?

--
  Les Mikesell