Re: Virtualizing Windows Vista

Henning Larsen wrote:
On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 12:35 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Henning Larsen wrote:
On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 11:53 -0600, Steven Stern wrote:

It sure would be nice to run Windows Vista on my Linux desktop for a few
work-related tasks.  This machine already dual-boots. I want to be able
to copy/paste from one environment to the other.

Wine provides an emulation environment -- I'm looking for real Windows.

I've read about Xen and we're using VMWare Enterprise at the office.
I'm unclear about the first, and I can't afford the second for a home
solution.

Is this something anyone is doing on Fedora? If so, what are your
recommendations and caveats?

You can use vmware-serve which is free, or use qemu, kvm, xen which is
included in fedora, depending on your processor's capabilities.

Isn't there also a restriction on what versions of Vista you can virtualize? I remember reading something about Vista home not working. (Microsoft restriction.)

Mikkel

I think it is about what you are allowed to do, myself I don't care and
have virtualized the home premium version. BTW isn't it hard for an os
to know it's running virtualized?

Henning

Well, here [1] is an article on CNET on it. I think you're allowed, to run Windows Vista virtualized. But with some versions, you need to purchase another license key (if you want to run it virtualized & real). On the other hand, AFAIK, you're allowed to run the Enterprise (the one for large businesses) or the Ultimate version virtualized without purchasing a new product key. But concerning this, I'm not really sure, so I recommend you to look it up first...

Sebastian

[1] http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9854621-56.html