Re: RAID10 not working in install

Bill Davidsen wrote:
I was doing a new install (reinstall) of FC8 Unity and when I tried to configure the disks and partitions I put a software RAID partition on one drive, and another of the same size on the other drive, and then told the installer to make them RAID10. I got back a message that at least four drives are needed for RAID10.

I then booted a rescue disk, created the array with mdadm, and went back to the install. Very manual, and not the type of thing many people would be comfortable doing. Does work, though.

So the question is, what is the installer trying to tell me? By any chance did someone not understand that RAID10 and RAID1+0 are totally different things? Or what.

Good news: for the very first time the network install worked, which it very much didn't using the original FC8 DVD+install CD "back when." I used NFS mount, I suppose I'll try HTTP at some point, but for now I'm happy that something worked.

my understanding of RAID 10 is that its a mirrored array of striped disks. Hence 4 disks, well at least 4 partitions, required.