Re: Modem help

max bianco wrote:

2008/2/22 Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>:

    max bianco wrote:
     > Can someone point me to a good modem how to? I am trying to setup a
     > dial-in server and I cannot detect my modem but it is listed in
    lspci.
     > When i run wvdialconf i get no modem detected. I have tried several
     > different modems, lspci lists them but my configuration is obviously
     > lacking somewhere, i have used the setserial command but
    apparently not
     > correctly. i have read and followed several how to's but none by
    itself
     > seems complete. Can anyone help by pointing me to a good source for
     > modem config on  Redhat and clones. I know not all modems are
    compatible
     > so a suggestion for an internal modem that is know to work is also
     > welcome. I have a lot of old internal modems lying around so one is
     > bound to be compatible. I have tried conextant, agere, ESS, and
     > smartlink internal modems. From what I understand I'd have better
    luck
     > with an external modem but I don't have one lying around so.....
     >
     > Thanks,
     >
     > Max

    Let me make sure I understand what you are trying to do. If I am
    reading things right, you want people to be able to dial into your
    machine, and log in (or make a ppp connection). If this is the case,
    you need to configure mgetty for the ports you want. You then need
    to create entries for each line in /etc/inittab. They used to
    include examples in inittab, but they do not any more. There are
    examples in the inittab man page. There is also a fair amount of
    documentation included in the gmetty package.

Yes I want to be able to dial in and access the network. However I am having trouble dialing out from my f8 box as it does not detect the modem. The dial-in server is centos actually but it has the same problem, it cannot detect the modem that is installed. So I figure these as my first two hurdles, getting both boxes to recognize that they have modems then setting up the stuff you suggest with mgetty or do i have to configure mgetty to get my modem recognized in the first place? The mgetty config would only be needed on the machine i dial in to right?

I suspect this is a "winmodem" which runs the connection using mostly software. You really don't want that...

If you want a modem to work for sure, look for a Telebit, Hayes, big old serial modems which do all the compression stuff in the modem. Connect serial, set the serial speed WAY up, 230400 bps comes to mind from memory, enable hardware flow control and compression, and you are ready to go. I can dig out other brands, I still have a ton of modems and "HUB-6" six port serial cards from the days when I had a modem pool and sold UUCP news and mail service on usenet.

The compression works well in ppp dialup, I used to run X to some machines, and it gave about 150kbit at the interface after compression. Then you learn about PAP, CHAP, and MSCHAP authentication. Good fun, chance to learn something pretty obsolete.

Get a real modem, which you program with the "Hayes command set," text config commands. That will at least get the modem recognized.

If I knew of a good voice modem which worked with Linux I'd put it to use, but the hardware is hard to find.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>