Re: command line sms tool

Pete Huckelba wrote:
Andrew Kelly wrote:
Hi y'all,

can any of you recommend a command-line tool for sending an SMS to a
cell phone? Half an hour of googl'ing has brought me only outdated,
half-finished or modem dependant stuff of little or no value.
Help much appreciated.

Andy

ATT/Cingular: phonenumber@xxxxxxxxxxx
T-Mobile: phonenumber@xxxxxxxxxxx
Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@xxxxxxxxx
Sprint: phonenumber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Verizon: phonenumber@xxxxxxxxx
Nextel: phonenumber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

where phonenumber = your 10 digit phone number

Try something like:

echo "my sms message" | mutt 1234567890@xxxxxxxxxxx

-Pete

Nah it's really even easier than that (at least for Verizon). Use mail to send a message like 'mail -s "Subject" <number>@vtext.com < somefilehere.txt'.

This will get you a text with a certain subject line and will include the contents of somefilehere.txt into the text message. That's exactly how we monitor every single device we have in the company I work for and it works just fine. I will say Verizon's text delivery can be spotty, but that might just be because I live in the ass end of nowhere in NC.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support