Re: USB scanner permission

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
John Thompson wrote:
After one of the latest rounds of updates of FC8 I find I can no longer use xsane as a normal user: it shows the "Looking for devices" pop-up but never finds my USB scanner. If I run xsane as "root" it works fine, so apparently this is a permission problem.

How do I determine which device file in /dev is being used for the scanner? This used to be simple before the days of udev...

This should be handled by a combination of /etc/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules and /etc/security/console.perms.d//etc/security/console.perms.d

I can not really test it here, as I am using a network scanner, and that is working.

Mikkel

Simple trick (but not definitive):

As root, find your device and bus id by lsusb. Then, cd to

/dev/bus/usb/xxx/

(xxx being the bus id)

and chmod o+rw the device id.

AndreArtu