Re: USB Audio Device screwing up onboard audio

On Tuesday 19 February 2008 20:57, Sean Bruno wrote:
> Oldie but a goodie methinks.  Looks like having a USB audio device(mine
> is a ION USB Turntable) connected when rebooting is still hosing up the
> audio card detection on system startup.
>
> I have an Intel compatible audio device using snd_intel8x0 on the
> motherboard.  To work around this issue, I had to disconnect my USB
> audio device, rmmod and modprobe the snd_intel8x0 module and then
> reconnect my USB turntable.
>
> I remember something like this issue from at least a year ago, is it
> non-trivial to fix?
>
> Sean

Hi Sean. This is the sort of problem I have with my usb midi keyboard. The USB
loads early in the boot process, and if audio related usb devices are
detected, they are are set as card0, and your actual soundcard as card1, with
the consequence that you have no sounds.

A couple of lines added to /etc/modprobe.conf may help, as below.
alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
options snd-usb-audio index=1

Before adding these lines and with your USB deck connected, boot up, and check
out cat /proc/asound/cards. You may well find your turntable set as card0.