Re: WiFi LAN access, but not WAN access.

Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:

> On FC8 with my dual boot laptop, in the process of testing
> wpa_supplicant with my Actiontec router, I had a situation
> in which I could ping within my LAN, but but not the WAN.
> Other boxes on my LAN, had no problem contacting the WAN.
> So I shut of the encryption, and made unencrypted WiFi
> contact.  Still, I could contact the LAN but not the WAN.
> Then I made a wired Ethernet connection from the test
> laptop.  In that case, everything worked for WAN and LAN.
> Then I went back to wireless.  It all worked, with and
> without encryption.
>
> So I am living happily ever after, but I fear I may be in
> a fool's paradise.  Any suggestions?

I've had similar experiences.
I know wifi edits various files without telling you,
eg /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interface> .
That could explain your experience.

I think NetworkManager also stores information in a similar way,
though in a different location.

WiFi under Fedora is really very badly organized.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366