Re: webcam and fc8 troubleshooting

sebastian@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Tom Poe wrote:
I am running fc8, received gift of Quickcam Pro 9000, and need help troubleshooting it. No response coming out of forum, so need to expand options. I need to run list of commands to identify what is happening, like lsusb, etc. Any help to figure out, whether I'm set up, and camera is faulty.
Tom

Hi,

I own the same camera, but currently I'm using it on another computer. Have you already had a look at this [1]? I'm not sure whether it works and I won't guarantee it, but in the future, I might also take a try.

Sebastian

[1] http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/12/07/howto-logitech-quickcam-pro-9000-with-fedora-8/

Thanks for the link, Sebastian. Used it, and even had video for a little while. Today, I found this link:
http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=Linux+UVC

It calls for moving the uvcvideo.ko file:
"The webcam audio interface must be initialised before the video interface. Linux will by default initialise the video interface first, so you need to remove the uvcvideo.ko module from the /lib/modules subdirectory where it gets loaded automatically, and load it manually after plugging the webcam."

I'm now trying to find out how and where and what steps I take to do this.
1]  Move uvcvideo.ko to /home/tom/temp/uvcvideo.ko
2]  Plug webcam in, and reboot
3] Load module manually ???? Don't know what command to run to do this. Do you?

It also says I can add the line, but don't know where, as there's no modprobe.conf.local file in my FC8 system.

Just add the following line to your //etc/modprobe.conf.local/ :

install uvcvideo /sbin/modprobe snd_usb_audio; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install uvcvideo