Re: Encryption on installation

Peter Lauri wrote:
Hi,

I have been playing around with Ubuntu installation on a machine and the installation of Ubuntu provided an option to encrypt the partition on installation. Does the installation of Fedora Core 8 provide this option? I need to have all (except boot) encrypted as my laptop needs to be brought out of customers facilities.

Any ideas of this?

My thought is that FC8 is hardly a secret... What needs to be encrypted is usually found in /home, or /usr/local. If you can restrict the important data to filesystems which can be mounted after boot.

About crypto: cryptoloop is in Fedora kernels, and is generally enough to protect against people who steal the laptop for the resale value. Not enough for pro government or industrial spies. AES-loop doesn't appear to be in Fedora, at least to FC8, and looking quickly I don't see cryptfs either.

Don't know about dm-crypt security, we have a big investment in cryptoloop, since we release data on encrypted CDs and would have to update every machine to use a new scheme.

And finally, I would encrypt *really* critical info, like passwords and certain other things using GPG on a file, even if in a crypto filesystem.

In general current Fedora capabilities are enough for many requirements, as long as you avoid the bozo user who mounts the crypto filesystem and then suspends the laptop which is then stolen. No tech will protect you against fools.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>