Re: Network without samba

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 2:28 pm
Subject: Re: Network without samba

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 03:27 -0500, arunbkn@xxxxxx wrote:
> Recently I have installed FC8 on one of my client PC for general
> office purpose. I do not want to load Samba as I don't want user to
> share his folders, but I want to allow him to surf the network and
> other PCs. This was also working fine with default setup. But as soon
> as I start the services 'NetworkManager' and
> 'NetworkManagerDispatcher' to have the icon on panel to show the
> status of the network. Network connectivity gone and even by reversing
> I could not salvage the situation.
> Can any body help me, where is the problem ?

Those are two different things. Network manager, and its ilk, is about
the ethernet networking (wired, and/or unwired) between the computer and
the network. Samba is just the Windows file and resource (e.g. printer)
sharing scheme.

Taking that into consideration, is your "network connectivity" being
"gone" comment referring to all network activity, or just the Samba file
sharing?

If you're running network manager, you want to disable the other network
service (it's the non-automatic alternative). One probable cause of a
network being a notwork is network manager relying on there being a DHCP
server to tell it what address to use, and you not having one.

Do you have a DHCP server on your network?

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.