Arduino/rxtx JNDI process needs to create lock files

I'm using the Arduino development software (arduino-0010 available from
http://www.arduino.cc) and it invokes a Java-based rxtx process that
needs to create a lock file. I keep getting error messages that I don't
have permission to create lock files. I read the RXTX "Install" file
documentation, and under item T it advised adding myself to the uucp
group in order to get such permission. I'm still getting the same error
message after doing this. Perhaps I need to create a directory in
/var/lock for rxtx and make it writable to uucp?

Anyone know what to do?

Thanks

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA