Re: How to fix mime filetype

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 07:04 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> I made the mistake of installing adobe's latest acroread on F8.  Now,
> there is no mime type for pdf:
>
> xdg-mime query filetype *.pdf
> application/octet-stream
>
> xdg-mime query default application/x-pdf
> xdg-mime query default application/pdf
>
> System never heard of this mime type anymore.

I've never installed Adobe's PDF reader, and my set-up's pretty similar:

[tim@suspishus ~]$ xdg-mime query filetype pdf
xdg-mime: file 'pdf' does not exist

[tim@suspishus ~]$ xdg-mime query default application/x-pdf

[tim@suspishus ~]$ xdg-mime query default application/pdf
evince.desktop

> How do I fix this?

[tim@suspishus ~]$ man xdg-mime

NAME
       xdg-mime - command line tool for querying information about file type
       handling and adding descriptions for new file types

Read it, and find out what you do to add one.  Likewise, with looking at
the output of:  xdg-mime --help

Setting a new MIME type default:
[tim@suspishus ~]$ xdg-mime default evince.desktop application/x-pdf

Querying, to see that it worked:
[tim@suspishus ~]$ xdg-mime query default application/x-pdf
evince.desktop

"evince.desktop" being the file that makes up the Applications menu
entry that goes with the evince program.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.