RE: memory reported under linux higher that allocated?

My app start at 761k X 2 because a have an extra thread and my app is waiting to receive a command from another tcpip program that contrôle it. So I know when it start allocate memory to start doing what the app must do because a must send a command to start it.

I used ps -el | grep myapp to see the program size, the "top" utility reported 0%.

I just added 4 more gig to my AMD 6400 computer, so it's using 8gig of RAM now.

now, when I ran my app, after it allocated 3gig of RAM, "top" reported that my app used 40.5% of memory, it's suppose to be 37.5% so there is an extra 240 meg I dont know from where it come from.

ps -el reported that the parent thread is 809k in size and the child thread that do all the malloc is 828394k in size, It doesn't seem logic!

any idea.

----- when my app is currently allocating memory (see below)-----
[trembb@cons15 ~]$ cat /proc/meminfo | more
MemTotal:      8168496 kB