Re: A sound problem one more time.- THE SOLUTION AT LAST (PLEASE NOTE)

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 22:43 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 February 2008 21:34, Frank Chiulli wrote:

> > > Hi Aaron. I'm glad you have the problem resolved. I'd had a look in my
> > > F8's /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms, after seeing Franks
> > > post, and it's as below.
> > >
> > > # device classes -- these are shell-style globs
> > > <pilot>=/dev/pilot
> > > <scanner>=/dev/scanner* /dev/usb/scanner*
> > > <rio500>=/dev/usb/rio500
> > > <fb>=/dev/fb /dev/fb[0-9]* \
> > >      /dev/fb/*
> > > <kbd>=/dev/kbd
> > > <joystick>=/dev/js[0-9]*
> > > <gpm>=/dev/gpmctl
> > > <dri>=/dev/nvidia* /dev/3dfx* /dev/dri/card*
> > > <mainboard>=/dev/apm_bios
> > > <pmu>=/dev/pmu
> > > <bluetooth>=/dev/rfcomm*
> > > <irda>=/dev/ircomm*
> > > <dvb>=/dev/dvb/adapter*/*
> > >
> > > # permission definitions
> > > <console>  0600 <pilot>      0660 root.uucp
> > > <console>  0660 <scanner>    0660 root.lp
> > > <console>  0600 <fb>         0600 root
> > > <console>  0600 <kbd>        0600 root
> > > <console>  0600 <joystick>   0600 root
> > > <console>  0700 <gpm>      0700 root
> > > <console>  0600 <mainboard>  0600 root
> > > <console>  0600 <rio500>     0600 root
> > > <console>  0600 <pmu>        0600 root
> > > <console>  0600 <bluetooth>  0600 root
> > > <console>  0600 <irda>       0600 root
> > > <console>  0600 <dvb>        0600 root
> > >
> > > <xconsole> 0600 /dev/console 0600 root.root
> > > <console>  0600 <dri>      0600 root
> > >
> > > As you can see there are no sound, or cdrom clauses, and the fresh
> > > install of F8 picked up the soundcard (audigy2 soundblaster) ok. Apart
> > > from disabling the infamous pulseaudio, the only other thing necessary
> > > was to add alias, and options lines for snd-usb-audio in
> > > /etc/modprobe.conf, so that my usb midi keyboard didn't end up in the
> > > card0 position.
> > >
> > > It would be nice to know which soundcard Frank Chiulli has on his
> > > machine, that gave a similar problem to you, and if the soundcard was
> > > picked up automatically when he did the install, or whether he had to run
> > > system-config-soundcard to configure the card, and only after doing that,
> > > discovered the badline in /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms.
> > >
> > > Aaron. Do you still have to add a "modprobe snd-cs4236" line in
> > > /etc/rc.local in F8, as you had to do since FC6, as per your earlier
> > > post?
> > >
> > > I wonder if this is a kernel, or Alsa related problem, as you said it
> > > wasn't limited to Fedora 6 onwards, but also on Ubuntu 6.06, 7.2, and
> > > 7.10, therefore the problem with snd-cs4236 does not, on the face of it
> > > appear to be distro specific. By the way, and IIRC, I thought I read
> > > somewhere that support for isa soundcards was not as it used to be.
> > >
> > > Would you download this script, as below, run it, and post the link to
> > > pastebin back. It may well provide some usefull info about your machine,
> > > soundcard, etc.
> > >
> > >  http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa/raw-file/tip/alsa-info.sh

> [...]
When I run the "alsa-info.sh" script I see an error message when it
tries to collect the data that says something like "no soundcard found."
I think it's the same error that I see when I run aplay to list out
cards:
    [mcallman@prez tmp]$ aplay -l
    aplay: device_list:205: no soundcards found...

Also, when I look at the script results, I see the following at about
line 65 (this is after I tried "model=toshiba" in modprobe.conf even
though my laptop is a Dell XPS 1710):
    Loaded sound module option
    --------------------------
    Module: snd_hda_intel
    enable : N
    id : <NULL>
    index : 0
    model : toshiba
    position_fix : 0
    power_save : 0
    power_save_controller : Y
    probe_mask : -1
    single_cmd : N

Could the "enable: N" line be the key here?  For those of you that have
sound working, what do you see listed for "enable?"

If it helps, you can look at all the test results that the script
uploaded at:
    http://pastebin.ca/903970

-- Mark C. Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution