Re: f8 fonts install

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 19:58:23 +0100 peter volsted <pvolsted@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On a rpm-based distribution, why wouldn't you want to use rpms as
much as possible?

From the Font-HOWTO (as Frank linked to):

6. Create RPMs of Your Fonts

Do not just throw .ttf files someplace on your system. It makes
migrations more difficult, and makes a big mess in your computer.
Package management software like RPM lets you easily install your fonts
in an organized standard way, manage font upgrades, and make massive
font distribution a piece of cake.

That seems like total overkill for a small desktop system. What's the point? Old dog; old tricks.

I just drop non-distro fonts under /usr/local/share/fonts/... and it's done. The fonts are not "making a big mess", and I don't have to futz with rpm. I do make rpms of some software that I use, so it's not that I'm against it, it just doesn't make sense with fonts for me.

/usr/local is not molested by upgrades, but I keep it on a separate partition just because "that's how it's done".

I do have to remember to create /etc/fonts/local.conf:

<fontconfig>
  <!-- Font directory list -->
  <dir>/usr/local/share/fonts</dir>
</fontconfig>

which will get removed by a clean install.

<Joe