sound .- THE SOLUTION AT LAST (PLEASE NOTE)

I AM REPEATING THIS BECAUSE THIS IS A REAL BREAKTHOUGH THAT MAY HELP
OTHERS.

On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 21:07 -0800, Frank Chiulli wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2008 1:17 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I got no answer to my question about sound in f8 working only as root,
> > so let me ask the question a different way.
> >
> > This could only happen if some vital component in processing sound has
> > the wrong permissions. Could any one suggest what that component could
> > be? This is very frustrating.
> > --
> >

> Aaron,
> I had the same problem.  But I was also getting a startup message
> about a syntax error in /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms
> on line 19 at 0600.  The error was a right paren instead of a greater
> than: <sound)  <sound>
>
> Once I corrected that sound worked just fine.
>
> Frankt

Your a genius. Or at least you had the critical piece of information.
My /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms had no sound clauses
at all. It had no cdrom clauses either. Once that correction was made
sound works. I will have to remember to check that in the future.

But how could that have happened. I assume it was related to the system
not recognizing the sound card.
Given its constituency, the only thing I expect to be "open" about [the
Open Software Foundation] is its mouth. -- John Gilmore

Ninety percent of everything is crap. -- Theodore Sturgeon