Re: A sound problem one more time.

On Feb 12, 2008 7:23 PM, Kevin Kempter <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I got no answer to my question about sound in f8 working only as root,
> so let me ask the question a different way.
>
> This could only happen if some vital component in processing sound has
> the wrong permissions. Could any one suggest what that component could
> be? This is very frustrating.
> --

Are you sure you did not remove any package you should not?
Are you using gnome? kde?

I think pulseaudio is responsible for allowing ordinary users  to access the sound devices in F8.

I only had a similar problem when I tried to open another X screen for directing mplayer
to my  tv-out, and pulse was not running, of course, for the new screen.

I had to create an audio group for this case, which allowed me to do that without being root,
or accessing the audio devices from a remote login.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ