Re: wpa encryption of wireless network how to?

Jan Brosius wrote:
> What is the best way to encrypt this connection.

I think that WPA2 is currently the best/most compatible way to do this
for a home user.

> I have the impression that it is impossible to use the gnome gui to
> encrypt this wireless connection.

That's not the case at all.  NetworkManager can establish connections
to a number of different wireless encryption setups.  First, you need
to configure your access point/router to encrypt the wireless network.
Then you can use the NetworkManager applet in Gnome (up by the clock),
to connect to your network.  You should be prompted for the passphrase
and then connected.

> Do I have to use wpa_supplicant and if so how or where can I find
> information

You can use wpa_supplicant if you want to, but it should not be
necessary to directly configure it in many cases.  It's certainly not
as simple as letting NetworkManager do the job for you.

As Terry suggested, it's a good idea to make sure that you can connect
without any encryption first.  After that's working you can enable
encryption on the access point.  That can save you some time in trying
to figure out what part is broken if things don't "Just Work(TM)."

Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
    -- Mark Harrold