Re: wpa encryption of wireless network how to?

On Tuesday 12 February 2008 15:30, Jan Brosius wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use a laptop Acer Aspire 9920G and I use Fedora 8. I have now a
> wireless connection with the internet. I would like to secure this
> connection.
> With the network gui I have created a wireless device wlan0. The
> wireless settings fo this device are
> MODE : Master
> Network Name (SSID) : Auto
>
> What is the best way to encrypt this connection. Where can I find
> information for a linux newbie? I have the impression that it is
> impossible to use the gnome gui to encrypt this wireless connection.
> Do I have to use wpa_supplicant and if so how or where can I find
> information
First of all, with encryption off does the interface work?
It's best to know that you can function on the network and can get an IP
address before you add network encryption to the mix.

One of the things that wpa_supplicant does is it keeps the keys for you in a
file.  You first have to run wpa_passphrase to convert the wpa passphrase
into hex.  The output of the command will give you a stanza which you can cut
& paste directly into the wpa_supplicant.conf file.

The output from wpa_passphrase looks something like this:

network={
        ssid="myessid"
        #psk="passphrase"
        psk=generated hexstring